Tuesday, December 11, 2007

And They Are Off!!!!!!

Well, today was the big day. The kids and I drove mom and Rick up to Fayetteville to fly out. We let the kids miss school so they could spend some time with Rick because he has been so busy at work and not had a lot of time at home. Everything went pretty smooth for check in but when it was time for "good bye's"....well, it was pretty rough. The girls got really upset and started crying. It got so bad that one of the employees came over and gave them mints to try to console them...he said he couldn't stand to see them so upset over their daddy leaving...pretty sweet guy. Luke was busy running under all the lane ropes and kept saying, "Is daddy and ma getting Jake?"! I did pretty good at holding it back at the airport and on the way home.....but when we walked into our empty house I have to admit I cried! I know it sounds silly but Rick and I have only been apart a couple of times for only a couple of days in almost 12 years. We are very excited about everything but it also a little overwhelming too. We have waited for this moment for almost two years and when it finally happens it is very hard to describe all of the emotions you go through. It is very hard for me not to be there with Rick but I know it is very important for me to be here for our other three children too.....especially after the day and night we have had...lots of tears shed.

Once we got home we decided to go to basketball practice to get our minds off of things and it did help. We then went to eat at our favorite Chinese restaurant and to see our friends who own it who are actually Vietnamese. They are so kind and it was comforting to see them tonight and let them know Rick and mom were off. They could tell we were having a "sad" night and were so good to talk to the kids.

It is completely hard for me to imagine...but tomorrow my sweet husband will be holding our new son. They are leaving Los Angeles in a couple of hours and flying to Hong Kong....should get there around 4 pm tomorrow (Wed) our time. They will have a couple of hours lay over and then on to HCMC, Vietnam by 10:35 am (9:30 pm our time). Rick thinks he will have Jake by noon and said he would call me tomorrow night on the way to the orphanage. I wish I could type into words how amazing this experience is for all of us. It is exciting, scary, overwhelming and joyous all at the same time. A friend of mine whom I have not even met...only through CHI via email.....was so kind to share words of encouragement with me this morning and it meant so much coming from someone who recently went through all of this.

Through this entire journey, God has shown us so much and brought so many wonderful people in to our lives. It is our hope that we can provide a life pleasing to God for Jake and that we can bless his life with our love and hope for a wonderful future. We know he will bless our lives in ways we can not even imagine at this time. We are very thankful that God has placed him into our lives and it is with every ounce of our being that we want to glorify God through this journey. Please keep all of us in your prayers as we go through this together. Please pray for all four of our children that they will all adjust smoothly. As soon as Rick and mom get settled into their hotel room tomorrow and prayerfully can figure out the laptop and digital cameras...I will post updates and pictures. Natalie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, So good to hear the update... so sorry it was so sad at the airport for the girls and again for you. I pray this time apart goes fast and communication is very easy for you guys to keep in touch with each other. Jake is a blessed little fellow... I pray his time leaving the place he knows and the people that have cared so well for him is as smooth as possible. And for health for Rick and your mom. Missing sleep is tough. I guess I better just wrap this up and get off the net and pray for you. Seems like there is a lot to cover. Love, ann

Anonymous said...

Natalie, you and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. I know this is a difficult, but exciting time for you all. I pray everything goes smoothly for all(Rick, your mom, Jake and for you and the kiddos in Ft. Smith). Take care. Love, Patty

Leslie & Shaune said...

Glad they are off and on their way. Safe travels to them and what an amazing day tomorrow will be for your family.

Anonymous said...

I know it is going to be hard on Nadia, Mia, and Luke not having Rick home, but hopefully it goes by fast. Rick and your mom will be holding Jake not too much longer. How exciting. I hope everything goes smoothly. I can't wait to see pictures and meet Jake in person!
<3 Heather

Unknown said...

Natalie,

I know these next few days will be a bit rough, but well worth every minute in the end! I keep looking at the clock and wondering if Rick has held his precious new son yet. I'm sure it will be love at first sight on both ends!

We keep you and the kids in our prayers during your separation. I know you hate being apart! Hopefully the busy-ness of the season will make the time go by faster. What a grand Christmas it will be for the Nelson household this year! We can't wait to meet this little guy!

Love,
Theresa