Friday, December 14, 2007

Getting Ready for the G & R Ceremony



We have spoken with Rick and mom several times this evening. They said Jake did great last night and got up only once for a feeding and then again at 6 am but cuddled up next to Rick in bed after his 6 am feeding. Rick said he is very affectionate and cuddly. Mom was thrilled because today he bonded with my mom. She has been carrying him through the markets today and when the people on the streets come up to them to say "lucky baby" or try to hold him (I have been told that the Vietnamese people love children and try to hold babies they don't even know often) he would turn his back to the strangers and wrap his arms around the neck of the person who was holding (either mom or Rick) and bury his head in their chest. Mom said it would just melt her when he would do that. She told me on the phone today "I am totally in love with this little guy!". He doesn't really talk yet (he makes sounds but they don't know what he is saying...but he does say "Hi Hi Hi Hi Hi") but communicates by pulling them by their hands and directing them to what he wants. Mom said she will do certain things with his toys and he watches her and will do the exact same thing when she is done...she said he is a "genious".. :) !!!! Rick has played an Elmo dvd on the laptop and said he is completely mesmerized by it and he loves books. We sent him a stuffed puppy and they said he absolutely will not part with it other than bathtime. He sat the puppy in a chair next to himself at breakfast today(apparently they don't have high chairs) When they tried to leave for breakfast and didn't have it he pulled mom over by her hand and tried to let her know "I am not leaving this room without my puppy in that crib!". A friend sent a sweet soft blanket with us and they said he won't part with it either. They said he is just doing great.....very easy going and sweet....oh and very smart :)!

Oh yea...back to the main topic...sorry I am getting carried away as a proud mommy...but the G&R Ceremony will take place Vietnam time today at 3 pm (2 am here). We will officially be ours as far as the Vietnamese government is concerned. I think they still have to get a medical exam and passports for him while in HCMC. They are planning on taking a trip down the Mekong Delta tomorrow. I just got off the phone and he was heading down to the lobby to see if someone could come up and help him with the laptop. He has downloaded all the pictures but he just can't get them to email....he is officially very frustrated right now! I had a sweet family member of one of the people traveling at the same time email me and let me know that they had a photo of Jake that her niece had taken so she forwarded it to me. I will post them now. It is of Jake in the little suit and bow tie they put him in when he met Rick and mom for the first time. Well, I will post more as I receive it and hopefully Rick can get the pictures sent soon. Natalie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie,

We just came across your blog the other day. We live in central Arkansas (Vilonia, 30 miles North of LR) We are so excited for you guy. We have been email friends with the Rankey's (Jenna's family) and found out that they are all together, daddy and maternal nana. We will continue to follow your blog. Congratulations. By, they way what orphanage was Jake in?
Laura (journeyotme.com /Caroline)

Anonymous said...

Heather has been calling me nonstop to update me everytime you post something new......SHE IS SOOOO EXCITED!!!! We are ALL so excited for you guys - I can still remember when you first started considering adopting and now it is a reality!! Jake will be such a blessing to your family - I know Dylan has always missed having a brother. All of you are in my prayers each and every day as you embark on this new and very exciting journey. Congratulations!

Children's Hope International said...

How exciting!! I look forward to more updates!

Jen N.

Anonymous said...

I am covered with chills!!! He is so sweet!!! Sounds like everyone is having a great experience. I am so excited for all of you!! Prayers out to you, Nat, who have stayed home and strong for the girls and prayers out for Rick and your mom for giving him such a loving welcome to his family.